Now hiring: Chief Engineer
Job Purpose: The Chief Engineer is responsible for oversight of all broadcast distribution operations for the station and works with the Director of Radio Operations, Engineering Assistant and contractors to ensure the efficient operation of the organization’s broadcast technology.
Essential Functions: This position is responsible for ensuring smooth day-to-day technical operations of the station and is the first responder to keep our stations on-air.
Physical Requirements: This position requires occasional lifting up to 75 lbs., ability to stoop, kneel, climb, bend at the waist and reach on a daily basis, sitting at a computer keyboard for extended periods of time, ability to perform general office tasks such as copying, printing, filing, and using the telephone. Occasional travel to offsite work locations required.
- Responsible for maintaining efficiency & excellence of all broadcast equipment, satellite downlink equipment and off-site transmitters/towers managed by contractors.
- Acts as “Chief Operator” as required by the Federal Communications Commission.
- Researches and recommends acquisition of new and emerging broadcast technology and delivery systems as needed.
- Assists in the technical design and upgrade planning for broadcast facilities, systems and equipment in coordination with outside vendors.
- Implements preventive and corrective maintenance programs for technical equipment systems in collaboration with Program Director & on-air staff.
- Oversees contractors managing the setup of transmitter parameters to operate at proper values; ensures transmitter power calibrations are performed at prescribed intervals.
- Coordinates work assignments and on-call responsibility for all locations.
- Is on-call after office hours on weekends/holidays if emergency repairs are needed.
- Proactively and appropriately communicates the status of engineering issues to senior management.
- Oversees sound engineering and studio technology.
- Recruits, trains, supervises, evaluates & motivates staff of two in compliance with the organization’s personnel policies and procedures.
- Hires broadcast contract workers as necessary.
- Maintains work areas, tools and equipment inventory.
- Maintains logs and records as appropriate to meet Federal Communications Commission requirements.
- Assists the CEO with planning, designing and implementing technical facilities improvement and equipment replacement including capital budget recommendations, quote and bid preparation and analysis, and representing projects with vendors.
- Strong background in electronics and RF Engineering, particularly in the areas of communications and transmission systems
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of at least four years of experience in Broadcast Engineering
- Comprehensive knowledge of FCC regulations & guidelines
- Proficiency in the technical support of broadcast software and systems
- Experience safely operating machinery, tools, equipment and materials used in area of work
- Experience with Broadcast Automation systems and maintenance
- Experience utilizing the standards, principles, trends, and practices of radio production
- Experience reading and interpreting technical manuals, equipment, diagrams and specifications
- Experience with inventory management and control
- Experience training and supervising employees
- Ability to interpret and apply related Station policies, procedures, principles, and practices
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply related federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, rules and regulations relevant to Non-Commercial Broadcasting
- Experience with the principles and practices of project planning, development and evaluation
- Engineering experience in Public Broadcasting
- Experience with current media, technology and trends
- Extensive knowledge of digital broadcasting systems
- Experience with microphone placement, sound design and studio equipment
Professional Skills & Attributes:
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong attention to detail, and organizational skills
- Creative problem solver who figures out how to take an idea and make it work
- Interface closely with internal technical and non-technical staff to support All Classical Portland’s Mission and maintain effective working relationships
- Self-motivated, innovative, and able to meet conflicting deadlines and priorities
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple simultaneous projects & tasks
- Comfortable learning new tools, platforms, and technologies
- Interest in and commitment to the core values of public service media; interest in classical music
- Must have a valid Oregon or Washington driver’s license or the ability to obtain one prior to hire
This is a 40 hr/week exempt position with an extensive list of benefits including employer paid medical, dental and vision insurance. Salary D.O.E.
Ready to apply?
Send your resume with cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com. Position open until filled. No phone calls or drop-ins please.
All Classical Portland is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How we work:
All Classical Portland maintains seven FM radio stations serving Portland Metro, the Willamette Valley, Columbia Gorge and Oregon Coast. In addition to traditional over-the-air distribution, we utilize digital media technology to make live radio, archived audio and streaming video available to a global audience on many devices. We strive to provide a consistent and high-quality experience across our platforms. Because All Classical Portland serves an audience locally and globally 24/7/365, our team must be ready to respond to issues that may arise outside of normal business hours.
We seek to be very productive and subscribe to the idea that a small, highly dedicated and motivated team can produce the best classical music service on the planet. We work in a highly creative and dynamic environment and take pride in making the most of our precious resources. You’ll be joining us at an exciting time as we continue to grow our listenership and expand our service and programming offerings. All Classical Portland is located at the base of the new Tilikum Crossing in a gorgeous, state-of-the-art facility with a stunning river view.
We love this music.