Do you have a passion for classical music? Do you love detailed background research and discovering the historical context of that music? This is the job for you! All Classical Portland has an immediate opening for a part-time and fixed-term Music Researcher & Archivist. This position will be responsible for researching and entering contextual and historical information about specific compositions into our digital database. The candidate will also add new recordings into the All Classical Portland database and will oversee a team of volunteers to assist in the process. This is a fixed-term position; length of service is 24 months. This position is a grant-funded position made possible by the Herbert A. Templeton Foundation.
- Research contextual and historical information about specific musical compositions and add this information to the digital database
- Oversee and train a team of skilled volunteers to assist in this research
- Develop policies and procedures for team to regularly update the digital files
- Import new recordings into the musical database
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in the current system
- Education or background in classical music history (bachelor’s degree preferred)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong attention to detail, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively under deadline pressure
- Proficiency with Microsoft office
- Commitment to integrity, confidentiality and ethical communication
- Creative problem solver; self-starter who takes initiative to figure out how to take an idea and make it work
- Ability to interface closely with internal technical and non-technical staff to support All Classical Portland’s Mission
- Interest in and commitment to the core values of public service media
- Knowledge of non-profits and radio a plus
This position requires occasional lifting of 25-30 lbs., sitting at a computer keyboard for extended periods of time, ability to stoop, kneel, bend at the waist and reach daily, ability to perform general office tasks such as copying, printing, delivering and using the telephone.
Pay is competitive and dependent upon qualifications and experience.
How we work:
All Classical Portland maintains seven FM radio stations serving Portland Metro, the Willamette Valley, Columbia Gorge and Oregon Coast. In addition to traditional over-the-air distribution, we utilize digital media technology to make live radio, archived audio and streaming video available to a global audience on many devices. We strive to provide a consistent and high-quality experience across our platforms. Because All Classical Portland serves an audience locally and globally 24/7/365, our team must be ready to respond to issues that may arise outside of normal business hours.
We seek to be very productive and subscribe to the idea that a small, highly dedicated and motivated team can produce the best classical music service on the planet. We work in a highly creative and dynamic environment and take pride in making the most of our precious resources. You’ll be joining us at an exciting time as we continue to grow our listenership and expand our service and programming offerings. All Classical Portland is located at the base of the new Tilikum Crossing in a gorgeous, state-of-the-art facility with a stunning river view.
We love this music.
Ready to apply?
Send your resume with cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled. No phone calls or drop-ins please.
All Classical Portland is an Equal Opportunity Employer.