Portland Youth Philharmonic is opening their exciting 97th concert season with the first ever PYP New Music Festival, a two-day virtual presentation featuring performances from all of their ensembles. Through the fall 2020 semester, the musicians will focus on learning new musical works specifically designed for remote performance. PYP FEST marks the first public performance of commissioned works to come out of the new Youth Orchestra Commissioning Initiative (YOCI), which PYP is spearheading. The collaborative project establishes a consortium that currently includes the Metropolitan Youth Symphony (MYS of Portland, OR) and New Jersey Youth Symphony (NJYS of New Providence, NJ). A primary goal of this initiative is to address the systemic exclusion of composers of color and women from the standard classical repertoire, by showcasing new music composed primarily by professionals in these groups.
Join for two days of PYP FEST and hear the world premiere of 7 all-new chamber works, written just for this virtual festival! Set list and more details coming soon.
- Portland Youth Philharmonic conducted by David Hattner, PYP’s Musical Director.
- PYP’s Conservatory Orchestra conducted by Lawrence Johnson.
- PYP’s Young String Ensemble conducted by Inés Voglar Belgique.
- PYP’s Wind Ensemble conducted by Giancarlo Castro D’Addona.
- Learn more about our ensembles and conductors here.